FEATURING : Spncr Sprng

image from : source
College student Spncr Sprng has only been making music for a few months, but has already developed his own unique way of storytelling.

Spencer Spring started making music as Spncr Sprng at the end of 2017. Big childhood dreams and the growing bedroom pop phenomenon sparked Spring to begin creating his very own self-proclaimed "dorm pop". With three singles released so far, Spring has a sound that is humbly homemade and captivatingly intimate, with a refreshingly positive and wise-beyond-his-years attitude towards making music. 

The rise of bedroom pop and the availability of music-making software is helping many young artists realize their dreams, and Spncr Sprng is one of them. "I've always had dreams since being a kid of being a musician," he writes via email, "What inspired me to make music was just seeing how accessible it is to start!" Spring recalls that many people around him at college, including his roommate, were making music in their spare time. After asking a friend about his music-making process, Spring downloaded software "and just went to work!" Spring thinks it's "really great" that making music is becoming so accessible. "More talent is going to surface and I really think that the accessibility of the industry with SoundCloud and other services is really going to push music into a new realm it hasn't been before," he explains.

Since beginning his Spncr Sprng project in December, Spring has been able to cultivate his very own music-making process, with a focus on telling stories, capturing emotion, and helping his listeners express themselves. "My music making process is all about the feeling that comes from the song," he tells me, "I want every song to evoke a certain mood." Spring believes that these emotions are what defines a song, rather than genre. "I like to think of music less as genres and more as moods, since I feel myself don't fit into a particular genre," he says.

Music for Spring is also about having something constant, something that keeps him going, and hopefully keeps his listeners going. Spring reveals, "No matter how hard the rain is falling, or how hard the days seem, there's always going to be a song to get you out of bed in the morning! Life is full of discourse and change, but music is the one thing I find to be 'stable'. It's something that withstands tests of time, and is something that adds comfort to so many people's lives." The artist adds, "I aim to provide a song for someone when they don't have words to express their feelings. I've been there before - where I don't know how to express how or what I was feeling - and music was always my escape. I just hope with my songs that people can appreciate them for the story they tell and in some ways relate to them."


"These Lines" is the latest song from Spncr Sprng, released at the beginning of this month. Ambient synths are juxtaposed with a danceable beat and a lyrical call-to-action meant to motivate the listener to move past their struggles. "The story is just about pushing yourself to a limit," the artist says, "We all come across a line at some point during struggle, and we either decide to move forward or back down. I think in our heads we like to place limitations on ourselves and tell ourselves that we're not good enough, but what's the fun in that? Why not cross the line into unknown territory and just discover what the world has to offer!"

Spring often integrates LGBT themes into his music, and hopes to help LGBT youth in any way. Pride is very important to the young artist, and he believes it should be important to everyone. "Pride is so much more than a parade," Spring writes, "It's about the history and struggles that the LGBT had to go through to even GET this event!" The singer-songwriter shares, "I remember my first pride after coming out, and just how magical it was. I felt all the love in the air and just watched the parade with pure wonder in my eyes." Spring aims to help people through his music, but also wants everyone to know that he is always there to listen, too. "I also wanted to give a message to any struggling / closeted LGBT readers reading this," he tells me, "I am ALWAYS there for you no matter what. If you ever feel like you have no one to talk to about these issues, feel free to DM me on any social media and I'd be happy to just listen to you and help you as best I can. I know what that feeling is like - when there's no light left in the world to shine over you - but trust me, there's a light inside of all of us."

Spring is still at the very beginning of his music journey, and has so much to offer. With regards to the future, Spring says, "I think I'm going to continue releasing singles so that listeners can get a feel of my artistry and where I stand as an artist." He reveals that a big goal for the summer would be putting together an EP, "however I'm still looking for a producer who I vibe with before officially starting that project." With such a great attitude, youthful energy, and the ultimate goal of helping others, this artist is well on his way to doing amazing things. 

Listen to "These Lines" on Spotify and Apple Music below.



Comments

popular posts