FAVOURITE // LOVETAP! [album] by Smallpools

I'd been a huge fan of Smallpools for almost a year. A year spent in listening to their self-titled EP on repeat, a year patiently awaiting new music to come, when after releasing a few singles, their first full length album dropped in March 2015. I was at first hesitant to listen to it, because I had such high hopes and didn't want them crushed, but when I finished listening to it in order for the first time, I knew it was going to be something I would love for a long time. 
This is one of my favourite albums, not just because I absolutely love this band, but just because it's so fun to listen to. With a combo of catchy hooks, unforgettable guitar riffs, perfectly quirky lyrics, and just the right Indie Pop feel, LOVETAP! is sure to please. 
The song from which the album got its name, "Lovetap!", is just one example of many. In typical Smallpools fashion, there's lyrics that don't make much sense at a first glance, like, "Your blood is still so blind, 20/20 don't come free to everybody" and "The stars are filled with holograms, they're fueled with love and carved with elegance", with rhythmic guitar filling in the instrumental gaps. Songs like "Killer Whales" and "Dreaming" are filled with infectious synthesizer and lead vocalist Sean Scalon's unique voice, fitting any mood, brightening a bad day, and enhancing a good one. "Dyin' to Live" is the motivational anthem we can all relate to, describing today's busy life without even trying, with lyrics like "I'm not scared of being a lonely man, or even dying, just missing out", and "I know there's something better, I cannot fight what's falling apart", then tying it all together with the chorus's pop-punch, "We're only trying just to feel alright, we're only trying just to find that steady love". 
It's hard to explain exactly why, but this album makes me infinitely happy. I know I can listen to it in order, on shuffle, or even throw a few of the songs in a new playlist, and it will automatically make me feel better, no matter how I'm feeling. Each of the songs are so different, yet so similar, all falling into the same unique sound that I just love about Smallpools. Listening to this album makes me feel upbeat, ecstatic, and motivated to do something more. 
Find LOVETAP! by Smallpools on Spotify and iTunes, and check out their super talented "Lean On" by Major Lazer & DJ Snake (feat. MØ) / "Lean On Me" by Bill Withers mashup.

Comments

popular posts