FAVOURITE // Future Hearts [album] by All Time Low

Most people get excited about the new year for lots of reasons, there's resolutions, new trends, new people, and after all, it's a new beginning. At the beginning of 2015, I was really only looking forward to this album. 
As it happens, All Time Low are one of my favourite bands, so of course, my excitement was building into some pretty high expectations. Consider them exceeded. Released April 3rd, 2015, All Time Low's Future Hearts is, in my opinion, one of the best albums of this year. 
I always listen to albums in order when I listen to them fully for the first time, and I was barely halfway through the first song when I knew I was in love. The sixth studio album by the Baltimore based band starts off with a song called "Satellite", which paints a picture of a hopeless, troubled teen. At around two and a half minutes, it's a relatively short song, but with lyrics like "growing up with eyes glued shut" and "wishing on a star that's just a satellite", it's easy to get lost in the story quickly, along with the static at the beginning and ending of the song, enforcing the satellite idea. This song really means a lot, while launching the listener full speed into the theme of the album.
Although single "Something's Gotta Give" has become somewhat of a Top 40 success, All Time Low has not forgotten their pop-punk roots after six albums. It's not hard to tell that they've been trying to put out an album like this for a while, but just haven't had the talent or experience. This album is revolutionary for them, not just in sound, but in the fact that they've enlisted the help of two of their idols. "Bail Me Out" is catchy, light, and almost out of place with the rest of the album, but Joel Madden, lead vocalist from Good Charlotte lends his voice and brings it all back together. "Tidal Waves" features the one and only Mark Hoppus of Blink-182, and is an incredible ballad that can not and will not go unnoticed. Being a fan and a performer, I can only dream that I'd become successful in the industry, let alone get to work with two of my own idols. In the meantime, songs like "Old Scars / Future Hearts" go harder than this band ever have before, while "Cinderblock Garden" tells a fairytale like story similar to that of Don't Panic (2013)'s "Somewhere in Neverland". 
"Missing You" is one of my favourites on this album. With a bright, pop sounding guitar in the background, it contrasts greatly with frontman Alex Gaskarth reaching into his lower voice register and returning with lyrics like "I heard that you've been having some trouble finding your place in the world", "Now don't lose your fight, kid", and "it's my life, I'm gonna take it back". Ultimately, it's a song about not worrying about not fitting in, and embracing it, because there's a lot you're going to miss out on if you don't. It's motivational for any one of any range of experiences, and I just love how it's a song that you can scream the words to, but sit back and think about it too.
I listened to this album, and nothing but it, on repeat for probably around a month after it first came out. Recently, I've been adding a few of the songs to my current playlists, and I find myself smiling when they come on. It's a truly amazing and interesting album, which I love a lot, and will for a long time to come.
Find Future Hearts by All Time Low on Spotify and iTunes

Comments

popular posts